Thursday, September 22, 2005

Thursday 22 September... Grocery Store prompts empathy of depression of 1920's

There is nothing much left to buy at the grocery store. I briskly push my basket up and down aisles, weaving and dodging others who find themselves in my situation.

There is no water left, but I find 5 bottles of Perrier and place them in my basket. Everywhere I travelled in the store, people were asking where I found them. I knew I'd better keep a close eye on my cart!

There was no bread, with the exception of the $5.99 sort (for half a loaf). I bought 2 half loaves, one white, one sour dough.

I was able to find a box of fancy crackers, vanilla wafers, tortilla chips, kettle cooked potato chips and green onion dip. I grabbed a dozen limes and a sack of potatos. I bought beer and wine just in case there were nerves that needed calming. And I bought a box of Emergen-C, for just that.

The candy aisle was well stocked, so i bought 3 dozen Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, for medicinal value and anxiety relief.

The check out line was incredibly long, but was run efficiently. Each customer was offered the opportunity to select a free bouquet of flowers. And while I was in line, an 18 wheeler pulled up with a load of water that they distributed at the end of the checkout counters.

I had to squeeze the groceries into my packed car and headed home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home