Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Tuesday 20 September... Relying on the Judgment of Others

MMSP calls me at 6am. His concerns have grown substantially overnight. Hurricane models continue to predict her path predominantly toward or to the west of Galveston, leaving us the worst part of the storm.

MMSP advises me that he is buing plywood before going to work, that he intends to take Wednesday to fully board and pack, and that he is leaving town on Thursday at the latest. He is willing to help me to the extent he is able, but I know he has a very full plate, between his own house and that of his paretns.

But at long last... my feelings are validated. I go to work, and discussions quickly focus on Rita preparations. Everyone is becoming concerned, and my boss is out, purchasing plywood.

I do a little research and discover "Plylox Clips". Upon my discovery, I rush out to Home Depot and purchase 80 clips ( $120). I find, too, that HD has 7/16" OSB that will withstand 110 mph winds. Unfortunately, I have no way of getting the plywood home.

I call my dearest friend from northern Galveston county, and as she is talking with engineers with Boeing, she begins to tell me not to be concerned because they say the hurricane is going south.

I beg to differ, telling her that my understanding of physics questions that possibility entirely. She reminds me that physics is their strongpoint, and although that makes me feel totally inadequate, I can't argue with the facts that I see before me.

She further tells me that the engineers are not covering their windows. I find that odd, but stand resolved in my own predictions. And, I recommend the Plylox Clips for covering her own windows.

I run by the house to get my "across the street neighbor's" cell phone number, and I run into the neighbor that I consulted the night before. She, by now, is beginning to be concerned by the path. I show her the Plylox clips and return to work.

Once back at work, I knock out my major priorities. I have two projects with critical paths and I was able to accommodate both of them by day's end. In my heart, I knew, by Wednesday's morning light, I would need to turn my attention to my own affairs, in preparation for Rita.

I stop by the grocery store close to work, but it is impossible. I return to my car...

On the way home, I check in with my aunt to make sure she's up for company. She assures me that it is more than ok for me and Miss C to seek shelter in her home. I figured it would be ok, but wanted to make sure.

Once home, I check back in with my next door neighbors, and their tune has changed substantially. They are now ready to purchase plywood and board up. "S" makes phone calls and locates plywood, and we trilaterally make plans to purchase the plywood at the local lumber store at opening the following day.

I call the pharmacy and order three prescriptions renewed, as my uncertainty builds regarding the return to normalcy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home