Monday, September 19, 2005

Monday 19 September... Acceptance

I was anxious about the possibilities of Rita as I drove to work, and I found myself frequenting the National Hurricane Center website all day.

Having exchanged email pleasantries and gratitude with my dearest friend for my birthday celebration on Saturday, I called her on the way home to alert her to the fact that her area, in northern Galveston County will likely sustain a direct hit.

She and her husband, who is also a dear friend, are talking it over when I call. I make suggestions about how to cover their expansive windows, and her husband calls me back afterwards to verify what he needs to purchase. His tone is aggrivated as he is realizing that this might be "the one" that we've all silently worried about.

I receive a call from my friend as she waits in the line at Home Depot, with their plywood purchase. She hangs up quickly as she sees her husband approaching, almost as if she just knows that he will aggrivated further to find her talking on the phone when he returns.

I call my neighbors who have lived in this neighborhood for 50 years or so, and have survived through all sorts of tropical storms and hurricanes. I am met with a relaxed attitude of confidence and wait and see.

In spite of their relaxed attitudes, I research the history of both the impending Hurricane Rita, as well as Hurricane Alicia in 1983. I find a website with memories of Alicia, hoping to find peace and to an extent, I do, but I temper the peace with fears regarding the impact of the massive development that has occurred in the last two decades.

I go to bed hoping that tomorrow will provide better answers, and if not answers... insights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home